This article will help you find short sales and short sale agents in Charlotte, North Carolina! If you’re searching for either, you’re in the right place. I’m here to walk you through the short sale process.
To begin, though, I’ll define what a short sale is and why it’s an excellent opportunity for buyers like you.
Then we’ll take a look at Charlotte, North Carolina, the 17th largest city in the United States. Charlotte is growing at more than three times the national average. In fact, millennials are flocking there, making it the number one city where they’re relocating.
Finally, I’ll guide you to finding short sales in Charlotte. And as an experienced short sale real estate agent, I’ll provide my contact information.
What is a Short Sale?
A short sale refers to a home sold for less than what’s owed on the mortgage (Chen, 2021). As an example, meet Justin and Maria, a newly-married couple with twins on the way. They owe $285,000 on their home, but a devastating work accident almost took Justin’s life last year.
The couple has fallen behind on their mortgage payments due to medical expenses. Despite their best efforts, they haven’t been able to catch up. There’s some good news, though. With prior approval from their lender, Justin and Maria can sell their home at a lower cost in a short sale.
You might hear a short sale called a pre-foreclosure sale. It’s a lengthy process with a lot of paperwork, but it isn’t as damaging to Justin and Maria’s credit as a foreclosure. And if the house sells, Maria’s parents have an empty rental where the expanding family can live.
There are some steps the couple will need to follow. First, the lender wants a letter explaining why Justin and Maria can’t pay their mortgage. Next, the couple will also have to provide tax returns and bank statements for the last couple of years. Finally, Justin and Maria need to list their assets and any other debts owed.
Soon, Justin and Maria’s lender approves their home for a short sale. This relieves their financial burden and stress in a big way. Their house soon sells for $240,000, and that money goes back to the lender. The bank decides to forgive the outstanding balance (the remaining $45,000). Sometimes, though, a lender will attempt to recover the difference.
While a short sale isn’t ideal for a homeowner, it’s a chance for buyers like you to get an exceptional deal on a home. Before we talk more about that, let’s learn about Charlotte and what makes it an incredible city to call home.
Charlotte, NC: Let’s Go!
Why Charlotte, NC? I’ll tell you! Charlotte has 885,000 people and is rapidly expanding. The weather includes 218 days of sunshine a year and an average temperature of 71 degrees (Charlotte, 2021).
Charlotte is also known for banking with Bank of America and Wells Fargo headquartered there.
Every city’s got ‘em, but Charlotte’s fun facts are particularly fascinating:
- Charlotte kicked off the Carolina Gold Rush in 1799 after a young boy found a real gold nugget.
- Many movies filmed in Charlotte, including The Hunger Games, Talladega Nights, and Days of Thunder.
- Charlotte holds the title of Pimento Cheese Capital of the world. 45,000 pounds are churned out every week!
- Charlotte is the birthplace of President James Polk.
- The city’s name came from the Queen of Great Britain, Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. Charlotte is often nicknamed the Queen City, or QC (Mulvihill, 2017).
If you’re looking for entertainment, Charlotte’s got that covered for all ages. Consider the following popular attractions:
- Bechtler Museum of Modern Art, displaying mid-20th century modern art
- Harvey B. Gantt Center, celebrating African-American artists, creators, and musicians
- The Billy Graham Library, journeying through the life of evangelist Billy Graham
- Reed Gold Mine, sharing artifacts dedicated to gold mining and its history
- Carowinds Amusement Park, offering world-class rides and entertainment all year
- ImaginOn, providing a world-class library for kids (named one of the best in the nation!) that’s separated by age and has two theaters on site
- Discovery Place, catering an interactive science museum to children and families
Don’t forget the endless choices for:
- Incredible food (you must try the BBQ!)
- Live music
- Hiking trails
- Luxurious spas
And when it comes to sports, Charlotte boasts the following:
- NBA’s Charlotte Hornets
- NFL’s Charlotte Panthers
- Minor league baseball team Charlotte Knights
- NASCAR’s Charlotte Motor Speedway and Hall of Fame
Also, see the U.S. National Whitewater Center, which offers over 30 outdoor activities. You might spot some Olympic athletes training there.
Now let’s turn our attention to finding short sales.
Finding Short Sales
To score a short sale, you must find the short sale. Don’t worry–I have several tricks to share. Then, I’ll point you to a competent real estate agent in Charlotte.
- The Multiple Listing Service, or MLS, is a great source for finding homes eligible for a short sale. You can use this database to find discounted properties. Be aware that the language might not include the words “short sale.” With this in mind, keep an eye out for other indicators in home listings:
Subject to Bank Approval
Headed to Auction
Preapproved by a Bank
Notice of Default
Third-party Review Required
Also, some systems allow you to search by short sales, so check out the filters.
- The local courthouse stores records of pre-foreclosures. A lender must file a form for a foreclosure complaint, and you can access these public records as a third party.
- Check out those classified ads. They sometimes list short sales and can be a valuable resource.
- Finally, I recommend doing an internet search for short sales. As you know, you can find anything on the internet, and short sales are no exception. Pay attention to the filters to narrow down your search to find what you’re looking for.
Short Sale Agent in Charlotte
Real estate agents have resources, experience, and insight in short sales. A skilled real estate agent can help save you time (and money) and guide you through the process. Additionally, agents often know about short sales before they’re announced.
To find your short sale agent for Charlotte, contact me, Nancy Braun, with Showcase Realty. Lean on my experience to guide you through the searching process. You can contact me at 704-997-3794 or through my website, shortsaleadvisors.us.
While I’ve given you some tips to research on your own, I encourage you to let me put my expertise to work for you! Hope to talk to you soon!
Charlotte, North Carolina (2021). Charlotte Gateway District. Retrieved on June 29, 2021. About Charlotte, North Carolina | Gateway District Development | Uptown Charlotte (charlottegatewaydistrict.com)
Chen, J. (2021, May 21). Short sale (real estate). Investopedia. Retrieved on June 29, 2021. Short Sale (Real Estate) Definition (investopedia.com)
Mulvihill, C. (2017, November 1). 10 facts about Charlotte you never knew were true. Only in Your State. Retrieved on June 29, 2021. 10 Fun Facts About Charlotte (onlyinyourstate.com)
Sources of Information
Baker, H. (2019, August 25). How to find short sales: 4 best ways. Mashvisor. Retrieved on June 29, 2021. How to Find Short Sales: 4 Best Ways | Mashvisor
Mulvihill, C. (2017, September 6). Here are 5 museums in Charlotte that you absolutely must visit. Only in Your State. Retrieved on June 29, 2021. 5 Must Visit Museums In Charlotte (onlyinyourstate.com)
Weintraub, E. (2020, March 14). Finding short sale listings in MLS. The Balance. Retrieved on June 29, 2021. How to Find Short Sale Listings in MLS (thebalance.com)
In case you cannot view this video here, please click the link below to view How Do I Find Short Sales in Charlotte, NC? on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trdTdlfSvXg